Farra Legacy Begins
Joseph and Janet Farra arrived in Dunedin from Melbourne with their two sons in 1862. Growth in Dunedin had rapidly increased following the discovery of Gold in the Tuapeka River near Lawrence in 1861. Joseph saw the demand for housing and household goods and quickly responded by setting up as a tinsmith, japanner, and spouting and colonial oven manufacturer in early 1863. A workshop and showroom was opened at 25 Stafford Street in 1882, followed by a rebuild and expansion in 1890. Joseph and Janet's sons, Thomas, James and youngest son Charles, took over the business and it was renamed Farra Bros. Joseph Farra died in 1907 aged 78, his sons all died in their 50’s, and former Farra foreman, James Wheeler, took over the business in 1917.